Starting schoolAugust 22, 2016
Make potty training your New Year’s resolutionJanuary 3, 2017
Starting school or nursery causes change to the routines of our little ones. Toilet accidents can be common as can potty training regression.
So when Jude was recently contacted by one of her distressed friends because her perfectly potty trained daughter had started having wetting accidents after beginning in pre-school, we realised it is a problem faced by more parents that you’d think.
It’s actually very common for kids to have accidents at school when they start or in fact when they get home for the following reasons:
- They are busy listening to their new teacher, learning, socializing – hard to remember to listen to their bodies too
- Toilets can be scary they may not like to ask to go or be comfortable in there
- They get tired! Accidents can happen after school and be exasperating but your child is just plain exhausted
- They are busy playing and too interested in what they are doing they forget or don’t want to break away from the fun and leave it too late
- They are scared to ask teacher if they can go
Little Miss Smarty Pants saying no to diapers!
Do not panic if this happens to your child it will pass and is normal.
To help, try the following:
- Make sure they remember to go at break times and ask their teachers to check in with them if they are disrupting the class through their accidents the teacher should be pleased to help
- Ask if you can take your child into the school loos and go through the routine and where everything is and what to do so they are less scared
- If accidents happen after school try and ask your child to keep dry until say dinner time, and extend it daily over the course of a week until they are used to it. Reward with a sticker or smiley face for hitting the target
- Do not punish when your child has an accident but get them to help clean up – remind them if they just go to the loo they will get back to playing faster!
- Speak to their teacher and be clear what the school or class policy is so you can teach your child when and how to ask
- Use our discreet potty training pads for extra security and to catch small leaks while they are dashing to the loo!
We hope it helps!